Sunday, November 30, 2008

WE ARE THE MINISTERS & THE MINISTERED TO

I recently finished reading "Divine Nobodies" by Jim Palmer. His stories about his encounters with ordinary people and their impact on the lives of people around them helped me to better understand that we are all missionaries every day as we live and work in our families and communities. Now I already knew this, but his stories helped me to realize how much importance God puts on our everyday interaction in the world around us. We are His eyes, ears, mouth, hands and feet and we are to love those around us like Jesus would. In the epilogue of his book Jim wrote what seemed like page from my life.
This is an excerpt. "After giving up on ever doing anything spectacular for God, I found the time and freedom to develop those close relationships with a few believers who have become dear to me.Some of us gather regularly and celebrate the Lord's Supper. Adults and children huddle together in a front room, and the gospel comes alive once again through sharing bread and wine, reminding us of Christ's life within, His unconditional acceptance and sufficiency, and our need to depend on Him." ..."I'm just Jim--flawed, imperfect, maybe a little crazy, just a guy who wants to know Jesus better. "
He continues"Pressing forward, sometimes faltering, there are days when discouragement sets in and I feel I'm wandering around in circles. I think I understand Peter's description of 'aliens and strangers in the world' and often feel this way even among church people. Whatever the future holds I have my own intimately personal mustard seed of faith that God is real, present, and much more interested in me than I am in Him."..."He whispers to me in the wind, 'I AM what you're looking for.' "
Boy does this hit home!! Jim has passed down the same road that I am traveling. He has counted the same fence posts and hit the same potholes. But just like that special vacation we have all been on, we will reach our destination and rejoice in the rewards.

1 comment:

BParrish said...

Sounds like a very interesting book. And one that we all might relate to.